Monday, August 23, 2010

To screw or to pop, that is the question...

For some years now we have debated the benefits of cork versus other modern alternative stoppers to our Brothers Wines. Personally I'm a great, perhaps somewhat romantic, lover of good quality cork and the ability to start the wine drinking ceremony with a small pop of anticipation. I say this despite the fact that I have bottled my chardonnay 2008 using screw tops for the first time. I however don't intend to follow suit with my reds, as there is still something to be said for the traditions of wine despite the slight additional effort required in 'breaking the seal'. Gently, gently, as apposed to a heartless screw!  


There is however of late a different perspective on the benefits of screw and plastic stoppers due to their massive environmental impact, compared to the sustainable, econ-friendly harvesting and disposal of corks. You read the article attached and tell me what you think, I'd really like to hear... Greg  (read more: Put a cork in it: the environmental cost of the screw cap | Environment | The Observer )

No comments:

Post a Comment