Thursday, June 12, 2014

2012 & 2013 Vintage Update

I have been neglecting my blogging obligations, and for that I apologise most profusely.  Thanks though, to those of you who've kept bugging me to get cracking again.  It’s encouraging to know.

I don't like to blog for the sake of blogging, as I know that time is precious and somewhat cluttered with information overload.  So, clearly I believe that you ought to know that the labels for the much anticipated Shiraz 2012 and Chardonnay Reserve 2013 (Naturally Fermented) are in the throes of production.  All going well, I hope to have the wine labelled by end June, just in time for the truly nasty part of Winter (just in-case you thought that you already had it bad..).  The new labels go back to the original, Highbuild, tactile finish, as opposed to the foiled and embossed labels of the past three years.  I have found this to be far better and more visibly striking on the shelf, warranting a desire to use one’s additional sense of touch (over and above the obvious – sight, nose and taste).  Perhaps I could patent this as being a 4D wine experience (patent pending..).

The Shiraz, is already 2.5 years matured, with 16 months in barrels and a further 12 months unwinding in the bottle.  The Naturally Fermented Chardonnay is, having been in the barrels for 9 months (mixture of new and 2nd fill) has been lingering in the cellar for a further 7 months, also to relax and unwind after the shock and horror of bottling. It's a bit like being woken up after a 16 month hibernation in a cocoon and poured unceremoniously into a small glass jar, corked, capped, slapped with clothes and packed cheek-by-jowl into a carton, with 11 other relations.  

More importantly, I don't like to release anything that I wouldn't be very keen to drink already myself, without lengthy decanting and/or mouth-to-mouth resuscitation.  A simple 'kiss' (sip) should be all that is required in order to get in the mood, and to simply want more, and more.. There's no poo-pooing the idea that this process of a simple 'first kiss’ in itself may be a form of 'foreplay', and may just lead to other less inhibited forms of 'social interaction'.  Keep it safe though and consensual.  However, some may find that the very first sip is merely enough to simply wish to sip some more (otherwise known as multiple-sips), to chat amongst splendiferous company, eat great food, ponder, debate - vigorously, resolve worldly conflicts or simply linger longer in a state of silent ecstasy.   It all works for me, and that’s what motivates me to make the wines that I do.  At the risk of sounding needy, my only further wish is that you continue to do so too, as I prefer to share my passions with people I like and respect.  One may equate it to going to the movies, eating in a good restaurant or travelling abroad alone; it’s just something that’s better done when one’s got someone great sitting beside you, to share.


So, watch this space, the new Shiraz and Chardonnay vintage releases are imminent..

No comments:

Post a Comment